Tuesday 24 March 2015

Question 1

Evaluation Question 1 - In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms and Conventions of Real Media Products?

CONVENTIONS


Here I have made a table showing pop conventions and if I have used them in my music video and ancillary texts. I have used most of the conventions in my video meaning I have conformed and that my video will be accepted into this genre.



MY MEDIA PRODUCTS 







 
 



REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS




MY INSPIRATIONS/SHOT TYPES
 
 
For my music video I took inspiration from Adele 'Someone like you' because its a sad love song and I thought that the connotations of black and white convey a sad meaning in contrast to bright colours which would convey happiness. I took inspiration from the shot types as well, the side profile I thought conveys sadness because there is no eye contact with the camera (the audience) I also think that another popular convention when it comes to love songs is either walking away or towards the camera which is what I did in my video.
 
MAKEUP AND HAIR CONVENTIONS
 
 
 
 
This is the hair and makeup I decided for my artist. After researching pop artists and looking at their hair and makeup I realised that to be noticed and 'popular' in the industry you need to stand out and look different. So I talked with my model and asked if we could do something different with her hair and makeup to conform to female artist conventions in the pop industry. I looked at artists such as Katy Perry and Rihanna for inspiration as they are known for being bold and daring with fashion choices.
 
 
 
LIIAR ANALYSIS INCLUDING LAURA MULVEYS MALE GAZE THEORY

 L- The narrative to my music video shows a girl chasing the love of her life because he promises her everything but gives her nothing, so for the narrative  I decided to show the girl with a note but we don't get to see what it says till the very end of the video so we are left in suspense, during the video we see the girl go to his house and knock on the door but he doesn't answer. The mise en scene in this video shows a big manner house, a bedroom and the woods. This mise en scene is conventional of a love story music video. The edits in this video are too the beat which is also a conventional feature of music videos.


I-In this music video the ideology is of love but also rejection. The ideology behind this narrative is that she loves him but he isn't returning the same love, we can see this through the mise en scene in the video where she has a ring on saying 'I love you' but it means nothing because he isn't answering his door to her anymore and all he can give to her is a note saying 'im sorry'



I-In terms of the institution my artist would be signed to a record label such as Sony's subsidiary label Syco owned by Simon Cowell because she is a young pop artist and fits to the way this label work.

 
A-The target audience for this video are fans of pop music and people who can relate to the video and lyrics, mostly teenage/ young adult girls.
 If people can relate to what is being shown then there will be a bigger audience because teenage girls like when they can relate to a certain artist or have someone they can look up to in terms of personality and style.


R-The representation of this video is of love, it is very passionate and is targeted at people who have gone through similar emotions. The artist in this video is represented in a way where you feel sympathy towards her. Laura Mulvey's male gaze theory looks at the way women are viewed in music videos and in other media texts. This long shot shows a full length shot  of the girl, which conventionally on music videos is to show off a woman's body. This is normally found in rap videos but is now a convention in most (if not all) genres of music.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment